Do you have that sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach?
That suspicion that your brand isn’t measuring up, but you’re not sure why, or what to do about it?
The first step to all significant change is identifying the problem. Use the list below as a guide, and have hope: there’s help here at the Big Brand System, and more help coming in the near future.
Read through this list. When you get that sinking feeling, make a note.
Don’t ignore the message! It’s an area that needs attention, and if you make it a priority this year, you’ll see results — and get rid of that sinking feeling, too. 🙂
- You look at your website and hate it
- Your brand looks like all the others in your field
- When someone shakes your hand and asks you what you do, you can’t tell them in one sentence
- You’re not getting enough business to keep you in business
- Your head shot is ten years old
- Your website says “best viewed in Internet Explorer” on it
- No one remembers your tagline … or what your business offers
- You use whatever font looks good that day
- You don’t get the whole branding “thing” so you’ve ignored it since you started your business
- When you check your website analytics, your bounce rate is over 70%
- You don’t know what “bounce rate” is, and aren’t doing any website analytics
- Your color palette changes with each project or designer assigned to the job
- When people arrive on your website, they’re greeted by a Flash animation, and music starts playing automatically
- You haven’t updated your brand image since 1990-something
- You’re not attracting the right people: the ones you dream of working with or selling to
- When you ask someone to describe your logo, they can’t remember what it looks like
- Your “About” page talks only about you, and goes on and on and on …
- On your website you ask people to “sign up for my email list” but offer them nothing in return
Repeat after me: the first step toward significant change is identifying the problem.
If some of the items on this list hit close to home, don’t worry.
You can strengthen your brand by tackling them one by one: use the resources here on the Big Brand System, and make it your goal to focus your attention on these areas.