Creative avoidance = A good way to stay busy getting nothing done
Creative avoidance happens to all of us, and if I hadn’t experienced it myself, I wouldn’t be able to write about it!
It’s that limbo-land where you get stuck trying to figure out what colors or fonts to use, or what your new business name should be. It seems like important work, and it is — but if you are paralyzed by these decisions and don’t move forward, your business will suffer.
What’s really driving creative avoidance?
Creative avoidance is driven by fear. It’s fear of three things:
- Fear of failure
- Fear of success (which might be even scarier than failure)
- Fear of all the work you’ll need to do to market your business once these branding decisions have been made
How to make branding decisions and move past your fear
The solution to creative avoidance is to remember these three realities:
- SOME decision is always better than NO decision.
- Branding is not a life-or-death deal. Your business won’t sink or swim because your colors are a little off, or you haven’t combined fonts correctly.
- You can always tweak your brand in the future, or even overhaul it completely if it’s not working.
Have you experienced creative avoidance?
Does creative avoidance sound like something that’s happened to you before? Are you dealing with it now? Let’s talk about it in the comments. We’ve all been there!